Monday, January 23, 2006

TV Free

My goal this weekend was to have two TV free days. I had visions of hours spent sewing and crafting and making all sorts of little things, I thought I would spend some time knitting and reading. I have no idea where I thought the pickle would be while I did these things! I did have a successful TV free weekend, and spent most of it playing on the floor. When the pickle went down for a nap I just could not get myself motivated to head up to my craft room. I was thinking that the sewing machine might cause him to take less than his hour and a half hour naps. So instead I read a bit, did the crossword and thought about how I wish I could knit and read at the same time. We did run some errands, stopped by the library and went to JoAnn's for some fabric for a runner for D's mom for her birthday. I did get the fabric washed, but not ironed. I am planning on expanding my TV free weekend into a TV free week and seeing what I can accomplish.

I like to blame my obsession for TV on my mother. When I was a kid we were limited to 2 hours of TV a day. Which as an adult I think is a good thing. But whenever discussions of TV shows that were on when we were kids come up I am usually at a loss. We didn't watch the Brady Bunch, I never saw those claymation Christmas movies. Now I turn on the TV just to see if there is something on that I might be interested in. I spend way to much time just looking for something that I might as well watch. To head this off at the pass, I have gone through and scheduled the DVR to record anything that might be interesting to me. This way I don't need to turn it on "just in case".

So my plans for my TV free week: Monday: Iron the fabric for the runner and start cutting the pieces. I am doing a mix of log cabin and twisted stars.
Tuesday: Sew log cabin squares together (12 6 inch blocks needed)
Wednesday: Sew twisted Stars blocks together (3 12 inch blocks), this day will be a break from TV free in order to watch Lost and Project Runway (the BEST show on TV right now.)
Thursday: finish any blocks not completed and sew top together.
Friday: Layer, and quilt
Saturday: Sew on the binding.

Erin, Garth and Seth headed back to South Africa last week. We did see them before they left again. Erin seemed more relaxed about Seth. Since being here the last 3 weeks he has become a much more active baby. She was still doing the high chair manners, but seemed less overt about it. We talked about her forcing Seth to crawl and it seems that a physical therapist that she knows in SA told her that babies who didn't crawl had problems doing math later in life. After she discussed this with her cousin, who is also a physical therapist and told her that she had never heard of such a thing, she decided that she would stop pushing him. I wonder if she can at this point. It was interesting to talk to Garth about Seth. It is clear that Erin was trying to present a picture to everyone here that was not exactly what was going on. She had discussed several times how Seth slept through the night. Upon talking with Garth he mentioned how he got up every night at 2:30 and fed Seth a bottle. And while we were there or they were at our house, Seth did not sleep through the night. I think that Erin had visions of what a good mother should look like, and these included a baby who slept through the night or who was crawling at 6 months. I will be sad that we won't see Seth for probably another year. There is talk of them moving back to the states, but I think that Garth will continue to come up with reasons that they should stay in SA.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Counters
Free Counters