Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Freecycle... how I love you!

I've been a member of freecycle for a long time. I had occasionally replied to an offer, but it never panned out. I had not used it to get rid of anything before. About 2 years ago D and I decided to get rid of our jewel cases for our CD's and put them in a binder to save shelf space. I had a hard time getting rid of the boxes and I wasn't sure I was going to like the binder system. Well, after 2 years of not ever needing a jewel case I told D to get rid of them. His intention was to take them to the recycle center. I'm not even sure that they are recyclable.

Another 6 months past and they were still in the basement. I decided to give freecycle a try and posted that I had about 75-100 cases. Within minuted I had 3 takers. By the end of the day I had 13 people who wanted them. I was amazed! I am a convert, looking around my house, what else can I give away? We donate regularly to volunteers of America, but for some reason this gets me more excited to get things out of my house. Like I know for sure that someone wants it, like I'm not just giving junk to the good will, that they can't get rid of.

I have opened up some shelf space in the basement and feel a little lighter for the moment. Also while going through a storage tub I found a sheet which I thought I threw out. I had been thinking about it wishing I still had it because it will be a perfect cape for the Pickle to play Wonder Pets.

Wonder Pets are a big thing at our house lately. The Pickle is Ming Ming, the duck who gets into trouble and is a bit ornery, the Chickadee is Tuck the turtle and I am Linny the guinea pig and leader. D is the visiting rabbit Ollie.

We are working on potty training a bit and the Pickle is not interested very much, but Ming Ming is willing to tell Linny when he has to go. Unfortunately this meant we went through 3 pairs of pants yesterday. I'm not sure if I should give it a go a few more days or back off and go back to diapers.

We got some pull ups but I feel like they are a step back from the cloth diapers that he usually wears. The pull ups keep him even more dry than the cloth diaper. I was sort of hoping that it would just magically happen, but it doesn't look like we are going that way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Counters
Free Counters