Friday, March 30, 2007

An update.

Well, I didn't received my possessions back, but I did receive compensation for them. D had tried several times to reach the girl, who of course would not respond. Finally I looked her parents up on line and had D call their house, knowing that she lived there. D spoke with her father and explained why he was trying to reach her. Her father did not seem overly shocked, but did state that it was the first that he had heard of it and that he would speak to his daughter. He never said that his daughter wouldn't do something like that.

About 20 min later she called and D answered. He said that we wanted our things back. She admitted to taking them and said that she didn't have them. Apparently she gave the ipod and speakers to a friend for her birthday. I don't really believe that, and tend to think that she probably gave it to her dealer for drugs or something. What friend wouldn't understand if you needed to ask for the gift back. But them clearly she doesn't see things from a normal perspective and maybe thought it would be humiliating to ask for it back.

D told her what the items cost us and gave her 1 week to either return them or give us the value of them. She called back later in the week and talked to me and said that she had some of the money and could she drop it off. I said no, that I was not accepting less than payment in full and that she had until the date stated to get the payment in full. She tried to tell me that she was having such a hard time getting the money together. I explained that the easy solution was to get our possessions back. She called back a little later in the day and said that she had more money and again I explained that I would accept nothing less than the amount we stated. And that I was not accepting anything less because I did not believe that she would ever pay the rest. I think she finally understood.

The next day at work I received a phone call from her mother who was extremely apologetic and mortified. She explained that she thought we deserved to be compensated as quickly as possible and that she would be covering the debt for her daughter. She asked what was owed and said that she thought that she should pay more than that. While I appreciated her sentiment I explained that I couldn't put a monetary price on it, that it was so much more than the loss of possessions, but the fact that she came into our home, acted like a friend to our son while stealing from us. Also the unknown of was something else going to happen? Did she tell a friend etc. I believe that her mother understood that.

Ultimately we did receive our payment if full and I believe that this is closed. Thankfully!

1 Comments:

Blogger laura capello said...

oh. my. god.

that whole situation... oh my.

you all handled that way better than i would have. immediately after flying off the handle i would have filed a police report.

5:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Counters
Free Counters